The “Melrose” Property is located in the historic community of Carlowville in South Dallas County, Alabama. Carlowville was designated as a National Historic District in 1978. This antebellum home was constructed in 1840 and is on the National Historic Register. “Melrose” is situated on /-19.5 beautiful acres. The land consists of pine and hardwood timber containing a beautiful stream. This home is /-5400 square feet having 5 bedrooms and 3 1/2 baths. Some of the many features of this home include: 12′ ceilings, plaster walls, updated kitchen, updated master suite, heart pine flooring throughout. Please call us for a tour of this one of a kind property today.
Please call Calvin Perryman at (334) 419-7277 or the Camden Office at (334) 682-9825 to view this one of a kind home.
Additional land and hunting leases nearby, contact agent for details.
Carlowville Community Historic Information
Today 21 architecturally interesting buildings from the 19th Century or early 20th Century remain to bear witness to the prewar affluence and cultural of Carlowville. Many of these are owned and occupied by the descendants of the original builders who migrated from the eastern seaboard nearly a century and a half ago. The Greek Revival style predominates. Examples exist of both the and #8220;grand mansion and #8221; with two-story porticos, and the more humble Greek Revival cottage. An excellent example of the small Greek Revival professional office is present-the one-room law office of James Calhoun that originally stood to the side and rear of his house. The Federal Style is well represented by the Center Ridge Baptist Church. This structure is simple and rather primitive in its detail, and yet very effective. Its interior is almost unaltered. In sharp contrast with the Baptist Church is St. Paul and #8217;s Episcopal Church-a Greek Revival structure that was and #8220;gothicized and #8221; during the late 19th Century. There is a single example of the Retardare Georgian Colonial style built in brick by an immigrant from South Carolina. The earlier structures are predominately frame though several were raised on brick basements. The carpentry work is of excellent quality and the completed products indicate considerable knowledge
“Melrose” Historic Information
William M. Rumph built this two-story Greek Revival home about 1840. It has five bays on the front, and four on the sides. The front entrances and one window on each side are covered with a two-story pedimented portico. The columns supporting the second level and those supporting the pediments are square box columns with moulded caps. The entablature carries across the entire front and down both sides, creating pedimented gables on both sides. It also carries across the rear. Shiplap siding is employed beneath the portico on both floors, elsewhere lapped weatherboarding is used. A one-story porch extends across the rear with a small room at each corner. The porch is supported by two square box columns. In 1902 Doctor Samuel Beekman Alison purchased the home. He was the grandson of one of the early settlers from South Carolina and the 3rd generation of Dr. Alison and #8217;s to practice medicine in Carlowville.
*All information obtained from the United States Department of the Interior, National Register of Historic Places